How good is quiche? Really, really good.
There are a lot of low carb quiche alternatives out there, including frittatas, zucchini slice and bacon and egg muffins. All of these are delicious, but they aren’t quite quiche.
A little while ago I started playing with some almond meal crust variations and ideas. I intended to move onto quiche, but figured it would be too difficult and that I wouldn’t be able to make it work. Turns out I was wrong, and it’s actually really easy to make a low carb, gluten free quiche crust in hardly any time at all.
This crust is delicious and perfect for a quiche. It’s crispy around the edges and is sturdy enough that you can hold a piece in your hand without it falling apart. At the same time, it isn’t tough or chewy, but melts in your mouth, similar to a buttery short crust.
You can use this crust to make one big quiche or smaller, individual quiches in tart pans or muffin trays. This is also a perfect bulk recipe to make and eat over a few days for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a snack.
Just a heads up, the quiche in these photos contains feta, so it isn’t 100% paleo, but it can certainly be adapted by adding more vegetables, bacon or chicken and omitting the cheese.
For the crust:
2 cups almond meal
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp pysllium husk
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp water
Salt and pepper
Filling of your choice: spinach, feta, capsicum, bacon, ham, tomato, sweet potato (for paleo), chicken, mushroom, sausage. You name it.
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC. Combine all of the crust ingredients and mix well until combined. It should hold together as dough without being too crumbly. Add some more olive oil if necessary.
2. Press the dough into a large pie dish, small individual pie or tart tins, or muffin trays. Aim for a thickness of about 2mm.
3. Pierce the crust all over with a fork and place in the oven for 10 minutes, until lightly brown around the edges.
4. Meanwhile, make your filling by whisking the eggs, water, salt and pepper and whatever additions you decide on. Pour into the crust and cook for another 25-30 minutes, until the egg is cooked through fully.
5. Remove from the oven and serve warm or cold.